Hong Kong, China/London, UK - Flagship Entertainment today announced its inaugural film slate at a press event in Hong Kong attended by Ruigang Li, Founding Chairman of CMC, Kevin Tsujihara, Chairman and CEO, Warner Bros., and Charles Chan, Chairman, TVB. Flagship is a joint venture between CMC (China Media Capital), Warner Bros. and TVB, founded in 2015 to develop and produce Chinese-language and Hong Kong films, including global tentpoles, for distribution around the world, including China.
The slate includes films from every genre with a wide range of budgets; select projects have talent attached, including directors and lead actors. The first of these titles will be released in 2016. Per Flagship’s mandate, these Chinese-language films will be produced to capitalize on the rapidly growing market for premium content globally, particularly in China, and the increasing demand for high-quality Chinese-language movies around the world.
“Flagship is a pioneering collaboration between the Chinese film industry, including Hong Kong, and Hollywood. The strong growth potential of China’s film market, the well-established talent pool in Hong Kong, and Hollywood’s vast experience in development, production and distribution of global films, highlight the unique advantages of Flagship. We look forward to bringing the best stories to the global audience with our upcoming releases and positioning China as one of the world’s major creative sources for the film industry,” said Ruigang Li.
“With Flagship, we plan to make great movies that showcase China’s fabled history, stories, values and lifestyles,” said Tsujihara. “But more than just making movies, we want Flagship to be a true cultural exchange between our companies and our countries. China is rich with talented storytellers—from writers and directors, to actors and craftsman—and we look forward to working with them in the years to come.”
The films announced today were:
- (Action) – Global tentpole release based on the best-selling book “MEG: A Novel of Deep Terror” about a massive pre-historic deep sea predator that resurfaces to wreak havoc at surface level.Colin Wilson is slated to produce.
- Murder of the Husband” (Drama) – Peter Chan is set to direct this drama where one woman’s suffering gave rise to the revolution of women’s social rights in China.
- Mission Milano” (Action comedy) – Jing Wong directs this high-profile action comedy starring Andy Lau, Huang Xiaoming and Shen Teng.
- The Adventurers” (Action romance) – Stephen Fung directs this story of an overseas treasure hunt with a cast led by Shaofeng Feng.
- When Larry Meets Mary” (Romantic comedy) – Wen Zhang directs Song Jia and Bao Beier in a story that proves it takes time to find true love.
- Miss Congeniality” (Action comedy) – A remake of the 2000 comedy that made more than $210 million at the global box office, proving guns and gowns are a winning combination.
- Blended” (Comedy) – A remake of the 2014 family comedy that starred Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler as a mismatched couple stuck together on a family vacation with their kids.
- Beautiful Coma” (Romance) – Peter Chan and Brett Ratner are set to produce this film chronicling a love that transcends every challenge.
- Chinese Wall Street” (Drama) – A look at the dreams and sacrifices of a generation of China’s pioneers.
- Agent Baiyun” (Comedy) – An unlikely crime-fighting team: A gossiping middle-aged woman and an international secret agent.
- Crater” (Action disaster) – A special effects-laden tentpole release.
- Wish Dragon” (Animated) – An animated tale of discovering the greatest wish of all.
About China Media Capital (CMC)
China Media Capital (CMC), founded and chaired by Ruigang Li, is one of the most prestigious names in media and entertainment investment and operation in China and global markets. CMC has created and grown a number of champions and emerging leaders in the sectors of media and entertainment, Internet and mobile, and lifestyle, covering film, television, music, sports, location-based entertainment, financial media, financial data service, online-video, smart TV, advertising, social network, game, online-education, e-commerce, O2O and etc.
About Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. is a global leader in all forms of entertainment and their related businesses across all current and emerging media and platforms. A Time Warner Company, the fully integrated, broad-based Studio is home to one of the most successful collections of brands in the world and stands at the forefront of every aspect of the entertainment industry from feature film, television and home entertainment production and worldwide distribution to DVD and Blu-ray, digital distribution, animation, comic books, video games, product and brand licensing, and broadcasting.