Aug 12, 2003
Cartoon Network Takes Prime, Total Day Crown for Kids 2-11, Kids 6-11
Adult Swim #1 in Its Time Period among Adults 18-34, Adults 18-24, Men 18-34 and Men 18-24
Cartoon Network #1 in Ad-Supported Cable Prime Time Delivery of Kids 6-11, 2-11 for Nine Consecutive Weeks
Cartoon Network was #1 among all ad-supported cable in both total day and prime time in delivery of kids 2-11 and kids 6-11 for the week of Aug. 4-10. Cartoon Network extended its prime time winning streak to nine consecutive weeks with kids 6-11 delivery of 754,000 (up 12%) and kids 2-11 delivery of 1,233,000 (up 12%). For total day, Cartoon Network averaged kids 2-11 delivery of 882,000 (up 22%) and kids 6-11 delivery of 552,000 (up 16%).
This marks Cartoon Network's best total day performance of the year among kids 6-11, boys 6-11 and girls 6-11. It was also Cartoon Network's best week in prime time this year among kids 6-11 and girls 6-11 .
Codename: Kids Next Door Weekend (Friday, Aug. 10, at 7 p.m.-Sunday, Aug. 10, at 10 p.m.), substantially boosted Cartoon Network's weekend ratings among kids 6-11. The 51-hour marathon, featuring original series like Codename: Kids Next Door, Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls, achieved a kids 6-11 delivery of 526,000 (up 17%) and rating of 2.1 (also up 17%). The Codename: Kids Next Door telecast on Sunday at 9:30 p.m. was the top-rated telecast on all of ad-supported cable in its time period among kids 6-11 (4.4), boys 6-11 (6.1) and girls 6-11 (2.7).
Toonami, Cartoon Network's afternoon action-adventure programming block (Monday-Friday, 5-7 p.m.) boasted impressive ratings gains for the week. Among the highlights:
* Kids 6-11 ratings (2.6) increased by 13%, while delivery (643,000) was also up 13%.
* Girls 6-11 ratings (1.2) increased by 50%, while delivery (139,000) increased 43%.
* Among kids 6-11, Justice League (Monday-Friday at 5 p.m.) earned a rating of 2.9 (up 45%) and delivery of 726,000 (up 46%).
* For Justice League, girls 6-11 delivery (207,000) increased by 209%, while ratings (1.7) increased by 183%.
Cartoon Network's Monday-Thursday prime time (8-11 p.m.) lineup remains strong. Among boys 6-11, ratings (3.3) increased by 10% while delivery (808,000) increased by 8%. Among kids 6-11, rating (4.7) increased by 21% while delivery (593,000) grew by 20%. The 10 p.m. telecast of Samurai Jack on Tuesday, Aug. 5, scored a 5.0 rating among kids 6-11, Cartoon Network's top-rated program of the week.
Thanks primarily to Adult Swim, Cartoon Network earned the #3 ranking for total day delivery of adults 18-34 (256,000) for the second consecutive week. The three-hour late-night franchise (Sunday-Thursday, 11 p.m.-2 a.m.) scored the #1 ranking in its time period on all of ad-supported cable with adults 18-24, adults 18-34, men 18-34 and men 18-24. Other highlights from the week:
* Versus the same time period last year, the block delivered 406,000 adults 18-34 (up 108%) and a 0.6 rating (up 100%).
* Adult Swim also charted 233,000 adults 18-24 (up 135%) and a 0.9 rating (up 125%).
* Men 18-34 delivery (310,000) rose by 165% and ratings (1.0) by 150%, while men 18-24 delivery (178,000) increased 128% and ratings (1.3) grew by 117%.
* The Big O (Sunday, 11 p.m.), an exciting crime drama co-produced by Cartoon Network and Japanese production company Sunrise, Inc., scored among adults 18-24, with delivery of 191,000 (up 173%) and ratings of 0.7 (up 133%.) Among adults 18-34, The Big O earned delivery of 442,000 (up 122%) and a rating of 0.7 (up 173%).
* AnimÅ series FLCL (Monday-Thursday, 12 a.m.) premiered with impressive numbers. Among adults 18-34, ratings (0.8) increased by 167% while delivery (544,00) increased 165% year-to-year. The Monday, Aug. 4 telecast of FLCL ranked #42 among all shows on ad-supported cable among adults 18-34.
* The Monday telecast of Family Guy (Monday-Thursday at 11:30 p.m.) ranked #16 for the week on ad-supported cable among adults 18-34. Two other Family Guy telecasts cracked the Top 50 among adults 18-34 for the week.
Cartoon Network, currently seen in 83 million U.S. homes and 145 countries around the world, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.'s 24-hour, ad-supported cable service offering the best in animated entertainment.
RATING PERIOD: 8/04/03-8/10/03
SOURCE: Turner Entertainment Research from Nielsen Media Research data. These television ratings data are reproduced here with permission from
Nielsen Media Research. Reproduction of these data in volume, without permission from Nielsen Media Research, is prohibited.
NOTES: All ratings based on Total U.S. Television Universe of 106,700,000 homes.
Laurie.Goldberg@Turner.com (404) 885-4205
Jim.Babcock@Turner.com (404) 885-0609
Steve.Rice@Turner.com (212) 714-6985