Los Angeles Approximately six million air travelers boarding United Airline jets in the United States during the months of July and August will get a chance to view an innovative in-flight film promotion for New Line Cinema's highly anticipated action-comedy Rush Hour 2.
Although the two-month program will target United's entire domestic fleet, the promotion is focused on travel to Hong Kong, a destination which is featured prominently in the upcoming film starring Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker and Zhang Ziyi of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
As part of the promotion, United Airlines will host the first in-flight movie premiere of the millennium. On July 26, passengers aboard United Airlines Flight 1 with non-stop service from LAX to Hong Kong, will be among the first to view New Line Cinema's comedy, Rush Hour 2.
The promotional campaign also includes the following components:
- On Thursday, July 26, United's flight from Los Angeles to Hong Kong will be re-christened "The Rush Hour Express" and the 747-400 that carries passengers between the two cities will be repainted with special signage promoting the film.
- The airline will sponsor an enter-to-win sweepstakes and radio promotions with five people winning the grand prize which includes air, hotel and land packages for two to Hong Kong, courtesy of the Hong Kong Tourism Board, Shangri-la Hotels & Resorts and J & O Tours.
- AOL Moviefone will feature the sweepstakes online offering customers the opportunity to enter and win the Hong Kong travel packages via the Internet.
The sweepstakes can also be entered via www.rushhour2.com.
- The Rush Hour 2 trailer will be shown aboard most of United's flights during the month of July reaching approximately three million passengers.
- Tent cards featuring key photography from the film and information outlining the sweepstakes will be placed on meal trays distributed by United flight attendants on most flights during the month of August. Placement of the tent cards will reach an additional three million travelers.
- The Hong Kong Tourism Board will incorporate scenes from Rush Hour 2 into their "Destination Hong Kong" travel video for the month of August. The video is aired onboard United flights.
- Print ads describing the promotion will appear in the Los Angeles Times as well as "Hemispheres" United's monthly in-flight magazine.
- Literature (and standees) describing the promotion and sweepstakes will be displayed in many of United's 100 City ticket offices.
- A United Airlines 747-400 is featured in Rush Hour 2.
"The setting of Hong Kong is pivotal to the Rush Hour 2 storyline," said Russell Schwartz, President of Theatrical Marketing for New Line Cinema. "This extensive promotion is a creative and fun way to encourage travel to Hong Kong while also generating interest in our upcoming film. When passengers board the Rush Hour Express, they will be getting in on the action and travelling on the same plane taken by Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker in the film."
"United is pleased to be partnering with New Line Cinema and we're excited to be able to offer this one-of-a-kind entertainment opportunity to our customers," said Graham Atkinson, United's Senior Vice President International. "United's daily nonstop flights from its key gateway at Los Angeles to Asia's top business centers underscores the airline's commitment to provide travelers with unparalleled service to this rapidly growing market."
"Rush Hour 2 mirrors the excitement of Hong Kong-City of Life. As the most popular destination in Asia, Hong Kong offers an exotic array of sights and sounds, a fascinating fusion of east and West, providing filmmakers an abundance of locations for their cinematic scenes. We are delighted to be a part of this promotion and to lend our support to Hong Kong's Tourism Ambassador, Jackie Chan," Lily Shum, Hong Kong Tourism Board's Regional Director for the Americas, said.
Josh Ravetch, New Line's Vice President of Production Resources was instrumental in developing the promotion, Lily Shum, Regional Director, The Americas for the Hong Kong Tourism Board, and United Airline's, Sue Kazlaw-Nelson, Marketing Specialist, and Nicky Tang, United's Marketing and Promotions Manager.
Rush Hour 2, which debuts nationwide on August 3rd, is the highly anticipated sequel to the blockbuster comedy that grossed more than $250 million worldwide. Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan reprise their roles as unlikely partners who confront an unrivaled nemesis (Zhang Ziyi) and the biggest case of their careers. As Detectives Carter and Lee become increasingly tangled in a criminal conspiracy involving a deadly Triad, the non-stop adventure takes them on a journey from Hong Kong to Los Angeles to Las Vegas where they must use all of their talents to trap one of the world's most feared gangsters. Directed by Brett Ratner, Rush Hour 2 is produced by Arthur Sarkissian and Roger Birnbaum.
Founded in 1967, New Line Cinema is the entertainment industry's leading independent producer and distributor of theatrical motion pictures. New Line licenses its films to ancillary markets including cable and broadcast television as well as to international venues. The company, which is a subsidiary of AOL Time Warner Inc., operates several divisions including in-house theatrical distribution, marketing, home video, television, acquisitions, production, licensing and merchandising units. For additional information about New Line, please visit www.newline.com.
United Airlines offers nearly 2,300 flights a day to 130 destinations in 27 countries and two U.S. territories. United Airlines is a founding member of the Star Alliance, the first comprehensive global airline network. United and its Star Alliance partners offer flights to 894 destinations in 129 countries. In September of 1999, United introduced its comprehensive customer service plan, Our United Commitment(tm), to provide customers with the information, resources, policies, and technologies to improve their travel experience. United Airlines' Internet address is www.united.com.
Internationally acknowledged as one of the world's leading entertainment capitals, Hong Kong is often referred to as the "Hollywood of the East." The City of Life is as convenient as it is captivation. State-of-the-art filming equipment, talented industry professional and film crews with generations of experience are all readily accessible. These, enhanced by an efficient workforce, make it easy and cost-effective for film directors and TV producers to fulfill their requirements in this fascinating destination. City of Life: Hong Kong is it! has been the backdrop of the numerous international productions and several critically acclaimed films and television programs. Visit www.DiscoverHongKong.com/USA to learn more about the City of Life. To enter in the Rush to Hong Kong sweepstakes please visit www.Rush2HongKong.com.
Steve Elzer (New Line Cinema/LA) (310) 967-6654 5525