CNN en Español has named 20 "Latin Americans Leaders of the Internet." Twenty men and women, pioneers and innovatorsin areas such as portals, the new e-conomy, dotcoms, programming and the digital connectionare being profiled beginning Thursday, Nov. 16, on CNN en Español, CNNenEspanol.com and CNNBrasil.com for their contributions to the Internet in Latin America.
The 20 "Latin American Leaders of the Internet" are:
- Charly Alberti, CEO of Cybrel.com, founder of Yeyeye.comDotcoms
- Wenceslao Casares, founder and CEO, Patagon.comNew e-conomy
- Alec Oxenford, founder and CEO, DeRemate.comNew e-conomy
- Martín Varsavsky, CEO of Carpe Diem HoldingsDigital Connection
- Eugenio Zanetti, director of Quantum Project, first Hollywood film for the InternetDotcoms
- Rodrigo Baggio, founder/president of the Committee to Democratize Information TechnologyDigital Connection
- Luis Frias, executive president of Universo OnlinePortals
- Marco Aurelio Garib, founder and president of Brazil's EverSystemsNew e-conomy
- Javier Etcheberry, director of SII (Servicios de Impuestos Internos)Digital Connection
- Florencio Utreras, director de Reuna, Red Universitaria NacionalDigital Connection
- César Torrente, president of CertynetNew e-conomy
- Costa Rica
- Ricardo Toledo, postmaster generalDigital Connection
- Dominican Republic
- Carlos Miranda, CEO of Grupo Interconect; Internet advisor to the presidentDotcoms
- Jorge Alor, CEO, Grupo ALCE DigitalDotcoms
- Luis Roberto Acosta Ramos, SIMA (International Environmental Monitoring System)Programmers
- Miguel de Icaza, CEO of Helix Code, Inc.Programmers
- Josefina Huamán, president of Alternativa and on the board of directors of the Red Cientifica PeruanaDigital Connection
- Fernando Espuelas, CEO StarMediaPortals
- Adriana Lozada, co-founder and chief creative officer of Loquesea.comDotcoms
- Alejandro Zubillaga, CEO of E-quest PartnersNew e-conomy
"These are extraordinary individuals who have set the bar for the way Latin America communicates via Internet," said Rolando Santos, president of CNN en Español. "They have demonstrated leadership through their striking accomplishments and CNN en Español is proud to recognize their efforts."
"We are grateful to our advertising partners at Compaq who have made this very worthwhile project a reality," said Michael Ginn, senior vice president of advertising sales for Turner Broadcasting System (TBS) Latin America, Inc.
CNN en Español's "Latin American Leaders of the Internet" were chosen for being trendsetters, for achieving success and for being original, creative and on the cutting edge of their respective fields. The leaders will announced on Thursday, Nov. 16, at 9 p.m. (ET) during a 90-minute forum hosted by CNN en Español anchors Patricia Janiot and Daniel Viotto live from CNN Center in Atlanta. Profiles of the 20 leaders will begin to air on CNN en Español during the weeks following the Nov. 16 forum.
CNN en Español, CNN's first independently produced 24-hour network in a language other than English, is currently seen by more than 10.2 million cable and DTH households throughout Latin America, as well as a growing audience in the United States. The network provides continuous news coverage of major world events, live breaking coverage supported by in-depth analysis, worldwide business and financial news, global weather updates, sports and feature programming on such topics as health, fashion, technology, entertainment and the environment.
Caroline Rittenberry (Atlanta)
email@example.com 404-827-1035 502517