HBO received 72 Primetime Emmy(r) nominations - more than ABC, CBS and FOX -- for the upcoming 50th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards,(r) which were announced today in Los Angeles. (NBC received 86 nominations ABC received 54, CBS received 36, and FOX received 35.)
The acclaimed miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon" topped HBO's list of nominees with 17 nominations, making it the most-nominated show on TV, while "The Larry Sanders Show" received 10 nominations. In addition, "Don King: Only in America" (8 nominations, the most of any movie), "Gia" (6 nominations) and "A Bright Shining Lie" were all nominated in the category of best made-for-TV movie, marking the sixth year in a row (and seventh overall) that the network has had the most-nominated made-for-TV movies.
Highlights of HBO's Emmy(r) nominations this year include:
- 17 nominations overall for "From the Earth to the Moon," including Outstanding Miniseries and Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries or Movie (Tom Hanks).
- 10 nominations overall for "The Larry Sanders Show," including Outstanding Comedy Series, Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series (Garry Shandling) and two for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Jeffrey Tambor and Rip Torn). It remains the only cable comedy series ever to be nominated for Outstanding Comedy Series.
- 8 nominations overall for "Don King: Only in America," including Outstanding Made for Television Movie and Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie (Ving Rhames).
- 7 nominations overall for "Tracey Takes On...," including Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series and Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Music Program (Tracey Ullman).
- 6 nominations overall for "Garth Live from Central Park," including Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special and Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Music Program (Garth Brooks).
- 6 nominations overall for "Gia," including Outstanding Made for Television Movie and Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie (Angelina Jolie).
- 5 nominations overall for "Four Little Girls," including Outstanding Non-Fiction Special.
- 4 nominations overall for "Stomp Out Loud."
- 3 nominations overall for "Dennis Miller Live," including Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series.
- 2 nominations overall for "Mr. Show with Bob and David."
Other HBO nominees include "A Bright Shining Lie," "The Chris Rock Show," "Dead Blue: Surviving Depression" and "The Pentagon Wars."The Primetime Emmy Awards(r) will be announced Sept. 13.